March Madness – Sweet Sixteen of Interactive Marketing
By Danielle Leitch, Executive Vice President
If you are tired of watching college basketball or your favorite team has been eliminated, I have a much better and more profitable line-up for you. These are what I refer to as the "Sweet Sixteen" of obtaining MoreVisibility for your business online.
Here they are:
- Website Content Optimization - each page on your site should have 250+ words with a keyword density between 3-5%, focused around 1-2 selected, relevant key phrases.
- LinkedIn Company Page - it's free, easy to set-up and a great way to showcase your company's services or products, along with design graphics and recommendations. Check out the Services Section of the page for MoreVisibility .
- GeoTargeting in Paid Search - both Google & Bing, plus other channels, will allow you to target what geographic area to serve your ads to. This can be by country, state(s), city(s) or as granular as a zip code or radius drawn onto a map. Spend your marketing dollars wisely and in the locations you can serve.
- Facebook Timeline - already in use by some, this is a feature of the new Company Page layout everyone will switch over to on March 30th, if you haven't already opted into yet. It allows for milestones of the company to be featured in descending chronological order, dating back to the company's inception. Enter into Facebook's Timeline what you select, with corresponding images to commemorate events or monumental corporate accomplishments.
- Twitter Advertising - this will be rolling out soon to the public and offers any sized company great reach and targeting through this social giant. Promote a tweet or an Account. Don't invest until your twitter account is active and consistent, so those who see you will want to remain following your "handle" later on.
- Site Targeting in Google Display Network - with hundreds of websites across many categories, you can compete with the ad-buying giants on a modest budget through this platform within AdWords. As it is with keyword search, flexibility prevails here with setting ad budget, targets and cost per click fees. Be sure to upload professional looking banners, although text ads are allowed as well.
- Rich Snippets for Search - this is a fairly new SEO technique offered by Google requiring the use of markup language (done by a developer) which tells the engine what to highlight in the Natural Search results from the pages of your website.
- YouTube - companies can create their own video channel on the platform, which allows all videos to be housed in one place. There are some new features offered on the channel page to enhance branding and visibility for the company. Hosting of videos here is free and as a Google property, it's no surprise these videos, especially if optimized for search, often rank fairly well in the SERPs.
- Code your links for tracking! Regardless of which analytics program you use, they all allow for and require url's to be appended with tracking parameters in order to report concisely on where traffic originated from. For Google Analytics, there are 4 required parameters and 2 optional ones detailed further here: www.MoreVisibility.com/TagLink
- Google Plus - this is a serious consideration for companies given the integration with Adwords and the +1 button. Again, being a Google property, it's no surprise we see these pages rank very well in search for brand terms or core key phrases, if used on the page. Our recent webinar, Google Plus for Businesses gives some details on how to start and then optimize your page.
- Multivariate Testing - although often used within paid search, this allows marketers to quickly determine what messaging site visitors prefer or which promotions/offers perform better. Google's Website Optimizer is free, easy to use and integrates with Google Adwords.
- Blogs - An oldie but a goodie! Blogs are a great way to push information to people and also content to the Engines. Each post can be viewed as a new opportunity to rank within search and should be treated as such. Determine keywords to optimize the blog content around, create meta tags and a keyword-focused URL. Write for users, optimize for search and blog consistently for freshness of posts and to maintain your blog feed subscribers.
- LinkedIn Advertising - looking to reach a specific B2B audience based on their company, job title, industry, size of company, etc.? This platform is part of your answer. Budgets and bid pricing (for cost per click fees) are set by the advertiser. As with other marketing channels, the more selects you choose, the smaller the audience and potentially more expensive it becomes to reach them.
- Pinterest - all the rage as of late, this new Social Network probably isn't for every business. Those who have content best illustrated through graphics may want to check it out. Recent policy changes should be understood relative to copyright infringement if the images aren't yours to reproduce or use.
- Tracking, Measurement and ROI - all marketing must start with a goal and end with measuring success of the efforts against such goal. Google Analytics is easy to install, painless for marketers to use and understand, while providing robust data and web intelligence. As a Google Analytics Certified Partner, we have helped hundreds of advertisers get comfortable with this tool and reap the benefits it offers.
So what are you waiting for? The time is now to move through the brackets and eliminate the competition from getting there before you do!