This is a crazy time. It’s as simple as that. Big picture: a million people across the globe are sick, some worse, and each week millions of people are losing their jobs. On a more personal perspective: I’m a wife, a mom of a beautiful 10-month-old baby boy, a campaign manager, newfound caregiver/teacher, newfound professional home cook, etc.
I think it is safe to say that we are all going through our own version of crazy. No one would have expected something like this to happen and no one was prepared for it. Not the healthcare industry, the restaurant industry or even the digital giants we work with every day. Amazon’s coveted Prime 2-day delivery time is being pushed out weeks and search engines are struggling to differentiate spam marketers from legitimate advertisers trying to share messaging that may save people’s lives.
However, the search engines and social platforms we work with every day have done a great job sharing resources to help advertisers navigate these trying times. Below is a consolidated list of some of those resources.
LinkedIn Marketing Solutions
Facebook for Business
Here is a summary of some of the common themes shared from the above, as well as a few personally added considerations:
- Stay Safe: This should always be the #1 priority.
- Stay Informed: Tools such as Google Alerts and Google Trends can help you understand fluctuations in search demand. Likewise, metrics such as search impression share can more specifically give you insights into your account as it relates to your geo-targeting and keywords.
- Evaluate Your Ads’ Copy & Images. Then Re-Evaluate Them: This has been a big one with all clients. The tone of your copy needs to change. The world is different than it was a month ago. Your creative needs to reflect that. Be sensitive to what’s happening, be helpful by sharing how your business has adapted and then re-evaluate it every day. What’s appropriate today may not be appropriate tomorrow.
- Be Able to Adapt in Real Time: Stay flexible and be ready to pivot at a moment’s notice. Businesses are all moving faster than ever to adapt to the world around us. That will inevitably reflect in your digital marketing strategy.
- Communication is Key: With everyone working remotely, keeping the communication lines open is essential. Increase your video interactions, have regular check-ins and be transparent.
- Be Patient & Kind: This is a difficult time for everyone. Let’s take a step back and remember that each day.
As I sit here in my home office with my 10-month-old crying hysterically to be held, I think about how lucky I am to be home with him employed doing a job that I love, supporting some incredible clients doing incredible work for their communities. Most of all, I’m thankful for the health of my family. Here’s to getting through this together.