If you’re on Pinterest but not using Rich Pins, you could be missing out. Rich Pins enable brands to include additional information about their images – including entire recipes, product pricing and availability, and location information – right inside their Pins. There are five types of Rich Pins: Place Pins, Article Pins, Product Pins, Recipe Pins, and Movie Pins.
Here’s a bit about each type of Rich Pin:
- Place Pins: These are one of the newest types of Rich Pins and they allow your pin to include a map, address and phone number. Place Pins are great for images about products that are located at a physical address. Pinterest labels them as pins to “take travelers to their next adventure.” When Place Pins rolled out a few months ago, Pinterest CEO Ben Silbermann stated that these pins will help people plan trips as well as find places to go and things to explore: “We’re excited to inspire you to go out and do things.”
- Article Pins: Article Pins enable users to save and share reading content. We all know how difficult it is to stay up on all the industry trends, so by pinning an article pin, you can save it in a designated Pinboard for later viewing. Article pins include a headline, author and story descriptions.
- Recipe Pins: We all know how popular recipes are on Pinterest. You can find everything from romantic dinner ideas to crock-pot recipes. Recipe Pins include ingredients, cooking times and serving information to get you excited to get cooking in the kitchen. These types of pins are perfect for people with dietary restrictions to quickly find which recipes will meet their needs as well as busy moms looking for a quick fix meal on a busy weeknight.
- Movie Pins: Movie Pins allow users to create visual representation of their favorite movies. Pin information includes ratings, cast members and reviews.
- Product Pins: These pins are the most useful for brands. They make it easier for users to find information about the products they love. Product Pins include real time pricing, availability and where to buy. Another cool feature of these pins is that anyone who pins the image will receive an email notification when Product Pins they’ve added have dropped in price. Another brand spanking new feature of Product Pins is that they will be included in the “gifts” category feed on Pinterest, so Pinners looking for gifts to buy will find your products. Pinterest also recently announced that Product Pins get higher click-through rates than regular pins and also make your brand more visible since your logo is featured on the pin.
You will probably need your web developer or your tech savvy cousin to execute your Rich Pins; however, it isn’t too difficult to accomplish yourself. Here’s how to apply for Rich Pins:
- Decide what kind of Rich Pin you want to apply for
- Read the instructions here
- Add the meta tags to your site
- Validate your Rich Pins and apply to get them on Pinterest
So what are you waiting for? Cruise on over to Pinterest’s Developers page to start pinning like a pro!