Q. Our company offers a higher end solution and focuses primarily on the B-to-B market. Is Social Media a channel worth pursuing for our model?
A. Without hesitation, Social Media can play a major role in marketing higher end solutions in the B-to-B arena. The key is to determine which channel(s) are appropriate to reach your target audience. Is there a certain demographic or geographic location tied to your sales trends? Whom in an organization do you seek to approach about your service/product? Once you have established your market, it is often recommended to establish your company in one or two channels first. This will allow your business to focus its resources (mainly time) and become successful in a few channels rather than spreading resources too thinly across several Social Media channels.
As a “higher end solution” provider focusing on the B-to-B market, LinkedIn may be an optimal Social Media channel for your company for the following reasons:
- LinkedIn is a professional network. It is the most recognized social platform for professionals to connect and communicate.
- Businesses can create a custom Company Page that allows clients to write reviews/endorsements on your services/products. The page allows for custom graphics as well, which is a way to gain a competitive advantage over other basic looking profiles.
- Businesses have the ability to target specific companies, geographic regions, industries, titles, company sizes, etc. through Paid Advertising.
- LinkedIn is a proven channel for prospecting.
- Creating "Discussion Groups" in LinkedIn fosters knowledge sharing and allows you to position yourself as an expert in the field.
While LinkedIn may be a great place to establish a presence in Social Media for your business, other channels like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google+, etc. also play a large role in the B-to-B market. Social Media channels are not only excellent for prospecting, but they are also a great option for lead generation, link building and for gaining additional visibility within the natural search rankings. With a sound Social Media strategy, small and large businesses can take advantage of these opportunities.